When you establish an Unrestricted Fund, your gift addresses a broad range of local needs—including future needs that often cannot be anticipated at the time your gift is made. Work with community leaders to evaluate all aspects of community well-being: arts and culture, economic development, education, environment, health and human services, neighborhood enhancement and more. The flexibility of your unrestricted gift enables the LACF to respond to the community’s most pressing needs, today and tomorrow.
How it works
- You make an unrestricted gift to the Los Alamos Community Foundation during your lifetime or through a bequest in your will. You can give cash, appreciated stocks, or other assets.
- We set up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- Work with community leaders to determine the areas of community need that would be most impacted by grants from your gift.
- The Board of Directors of the LACF issues grants and your unrestricted fund is recognized through our annual report, our website and other publications.
- We handle all the administrative details.
Your gift becomes part of our endowment that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift—and all future earnings from your gift—is a permanent source of community capital, helping to do good work forever.
Because you set no restrictions on the use of your gift, it enables community leaders to do what they do best—assess community needs and respond by awarding grants to the nonprofit organizations that undertake our community’s most critical work. Unrestricted funds help the LACF to support long-term solutions; respond quickly to emergencies; and meet changing social, cultural, educational or environmental needs in our local community.
Grants are made in the name of the fund you establish, creating your personal legacy of giving. You may give your gift immediately or through your will or other estate planning strategy. If you endow your gift, it becomes a permanent community funding resource.
Contact us for details on how to set up an Unrestricted Fund or how to contribute to an existing one.