Establishing a Designated Fund allows you to support the good work of a specific nonprofit organization. Because it’s given through your community foundation, your gift provides the organization you select not only funding but planned giving investment management services and the power of endowment.
How it works
- You identify an organization that you wish to benefit.
- You make a gift to the Los Alamos Community Foundation — you can give cash, appreciated stocks, or other assets.
- We set up a special fund in your name or in the name of the nonprofit organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- The Board of Directors of LACF issues grants to the designated nonprofit organization.
- We handle all the administrative details, including managing specific qualifications that you may establish for grant disbursements.
- You receive updates on the impact the fund is making.
As with any Foundation fund, you have the option to place your gift into our community grants endowment. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift — and all future earnings from your gift — can be a permanent source of community capital, helping to do good work forever.
A Designated Fund provides you a wonderful way to give back to one or more specific organizations that have touched your life. Your gift provides more than just funding — your designated organization will benefit from your community foundation’s investment stewardship and ability to manage endowment funds.Because the Los Alamos Community Foundation handles the details, the nonprofit organization’s staff is freed up to focus on its mission.
The Foundation can facilitate even the most complex forms of giving, such as planned gifts or gifts of appreciated stock. You can add to the fund at any time. If the organization you select ceases to exist or changes in mission, the fund can be redirected so that it continues to address your charitable intent.
Contact us for details on how to set up a Designated Fund or how to contribute to an existing one.
“Both Ann and I believe strongly in education. We feel so fortunate to have UNM-LA in Los Alamos as a wonderful higher education opportunity. We are very pleased to contribute to UNM-LA’s continued success through the creation of this endowment at Los Alamos Community Foundation. It has been gratifying to see how the endowment impacts UNM-LA each year.”
– Pat Soran and Ann Hayes